Friday, November 6, 2009

Borderlands 360 Review


So it has been awhile since I updated hasn't it? Well I have been sick, but I also wanted to complete Borderlands before giving the game a review so I could bring to the table the complete game experience, I also did not rush through the game so I could get a good feel for the world of Pandora.

  • STORY: Now if you were hoping that Borderlands had a gripping story line that keeps you on the edge of your seat, you may want to start looking elsewhere. The story for Borderlands is pretty simplistic, it places you in the role of one of 4 Vault hunters Lilith(Siren), Mordecai(Hunter), Roland(Soldier), and Brick (Tank) who are start of the game are told by a mysterious Lady that the Vault is real and to begin the long journey to find it. To be honest that is the story in the nut shell, there is no real branching out but that is fine considering Borderlands is a game similar to Diablo in which it is a constant quest to find better loot. My only complaint not really with the story but with the rushed feeling later game, I would get into more detail but this review shall remain spoiler free.
  • SOUND: The game features one of the best opening pieces I have heard in a game in awhile it is called "Ain't no rest for the wicked" by Cage the Elephant, and the timing in what I guess you would call the opening cinematic is down right awesome. The actual game music is pretty cool and really picks up with battle themes and over world themes.
  • GRAPHICS: Gearbox took a real gamble with the art style on the game, and for some it is a real hit or miss; In my opinion though I really don't think they could have pulled off the game using any other style, it just looks amazing and gives the world character. The only real peeve I have with the graphics is that none of the play characters have facial animations which bugs me.
  • GAMEPLAY: Ok so you take a FPS and mix it with some RPG elements and you pretty much get Borderlands. Other games have tried to form a marriage of these two genres only to fail miserably in execution, Borderlands however did not fail in its execution. The shooter elements are top notch and stand toe to toe with other FPS games out there such as CoD of Halo, and the RPG elements are good enough to attract both RPG fiends without pushing casual gamers away. So you like using a sniper rifle? Keep using it and the more you kill the better you get with it giving you bonuses to accuracy etc. The total execution of Borderlands is flawless.
  • MULTIPLAYER: Ok so I am not grading on multiplayer but felt it needed it's own section in my review. Multiplayer can be played a number of ways 2 player splitscreen (No online or system link support for this yet) 4 Players via live, and system link. I played the entire game splitscreen with my wife and the experience was very enjoyable a rivals the times we have had with Left 4 Dead, and Resident Evil 5. It should be noted that the more people you get in the game the harder the enemies get but the loot they drop gets better as well. Finding a game is easy over live with Matchmaking, but in my opinion Borderlands is a game best played with friends.
Overall I give Borderlands a 4.5 out of 5. I would have said 5 out of 5 but the rushed feeling of the game later on just leaves me thinking there could have been more. If you are looking for a game to add to your collection, or a present for a loved one this Holiday season I highly recommend Borderlands.

2 comments:

  1. nice review bio.
    i think you did a good job showing the pros and cons of borderlands.
    great game :D
    (this is herb from xbl btw, and no i'm not stalking you on the net (yet) :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe welcome to my blog.

    Be sure to stick around I post stuff from time to time when things are going good :).

    ReplyDelete